Are you like me? I do everything from my iPhone. Need to deposit a check? Hello, bank app. Time to buy a birthday present? Thanks, Amazon.com! Paperwork to fill out, sign, and return? Oh wait- I have to print it out? You’ve got to be joking. I’ll never get around to that. But not anymore! Thanks to my new favorite iPhone hack I may never print anything again. (And if I’m just super tardy to this party, I’m sorry! I’m a mini-van driving, 31-year-old mom of two. That immediately catapults me into the technology alien category and I’m dumbfounded by the new “hot” apps and shocked that Facebook is now for “old people”.)
So today I was filling out tax information (on my computer) for an upcoming feature when I realized the document had to be signed. SIGNED! It was clear I had just wasted 20 minutes filling out all my paperwork since asking me to print and sign it is the equivalent of telling me to tear it up and chuck it in the trash. I do not print things out. Ever. It just takes so much effort to plug my computer into the printer and find my file, turn on my printer, hit print on my computer, sign the printed paper, and (finally) take a photo of the signed paper and mail it to the eagerly waiting person on the other end of my e-mail (no, I also do not scan or fax- that is why we have cameras on our phones!).
Determined not to waste all the effort I had just put into filling out my paperwork I pulled up the .PDF on my iPhone. (I mean, it’s a smart phone!) There had to be some way I could bypass my printer and sign that sucker digitally.
Have you ever noticed this little toolbox when you are looking at a .PDF?
Well, I had not- and that is so very sad- because that little toolbox is a trove of iPhone hack treasures.
So, pull out your iPhone and let’s hack into the digital world.
iPhone Hack Tutorial: Filling Out Documents On Your Phone
- Open an e-mail with a .PDF attachment. (Don’t have one? Leave your e-mail below and I’ll shoot you a free .PDF to practice with).
- Click the .PDF file to open (yes- it’s a grocery planning list. I am thrilled that I can now make a categorical grocery list on my phone since I normally leave my grocery list sitting on the kitchen counter doing me absolutely no good.)
- Click the toolbox. This will cause the .PDF to close briefly before opening back up on the screen of goodness.
- Now- let’s look at this handy-dandy grocery planning .PDF. If I want to write a list I click this “T” to open a textbox.
- Click inside the text box, choose “Edit”, and type to your heart’s content. When you are done move the text box to the location you prefer.
- Too big? Too small? Change the size using this slider.
- Need to mark an item off your list? There’s even a pen tool!!!
- And now— what we’ve all been waiting for- let’s autograph that grocery list (because that’s a totally normal thing! And if you run into Garth Brooks in the produce aisle you can get an autograph without ever searching for a pen).
- See this little “John Doe”? Click it and use your finger to sign the screen.
- Click “Done”
- Using one finger resize the signature to fit the space. (And the great thing is it will save your signature so you can be really lazy and never write it again).
- Click done and e-mail your document.
The only downfall of this little iPhone hack is that you can’t save the .PDF to finish later unless you e-mail it to yourself to open later and work on.
Maybe today you learned something new that will make your day just a little easier, or maybe you feel sorry for me that I’m so behind the times… either way I’m glad you’re here!
Thank you so much for dropping by. What’s your favorite iPhone hack? It appears I’m not quite as tech savvy as I thought so I probably haven’t learned it just yet!!!
If you enjoyed this post please “Like” A Kreative Whim on Facebook where I share way too much about my life.
SUBSCRIBE and you can get posts from A Kreative Whim straight to your e-mail! Scroll way down (past the comments) until you see the giant teal box- you can’t miss it!
This post may contain affiliate links. They are denoted by an asterisk. If you purchase something through an affiliate link I receive a small commission (at no cost to you) that I use to pay babysitters and buy takeout when I’m much too tired to cook! Thank you for supporting my sanity!