Earlier this month I shared B’s fabulous photo shoot with Roaming Photography (and her birthday party)! I still grin from ear to ear every time I look at these images of my silly, smiley girl. Today I’m finally getting around to sharing how I made our 1st birthday photo props! I spent a lot of time on Pinterest and Etsy looking for exactly what I wanted in a prop, but, as typically happens when I have an idea in my mind- I struggled to find the right color combinations and designs all in one. And because I’ve fully embraced hot-mess mama mode I didn’t have time for a custom order (and we all know I’m a DIY-aholic and probably wouldn’t have ordered it if I did have time!). So a few days before the party I found myself burning my fingers with hot glue making a DIY birthday crown. It was totally worth it- I promise! (I mean- look at that face!)
DIY Birthday Crown
What You Need:
Glitter Sheet (glitter sheets came from Hobby Lobby’s fabric section near the lace and embellishments)
Felt (same color as backing of glitter sheet)
lace/edging for embellishment
hot glue gun
What You Do:
1. Create a template for your crown (or use mine!) and cut the pattern on a glitter sheet and felt.
2. Hot glue glitter sheet to felt. If using a ribbon/lace embellishment glue between the layers.
3. Glue ends of crown together and add embellishments.
4. I realized in this photo that the felt should match the backing of the glitter sheet for a more fluid look. I wanted to create a bottom that would attach easily to the headband so I cut a circle of felt slightly larger than the bottom of the crown and glued it to the inside of the crown. (I haven’t found a good way to do this without a little bit of finger singing! Sorry!!!)
5. Now we need some way for the crown to stay on. I found some plain headbands at the dollar store and cute a long narrow piece of glitter sheet. (I recommend cutting it about 1.5″ wide.) Glue the glitter sheet to the outside of the headband, then wrap the edges around the headband, gluing as you go.
6. Glue the crown to the top of the headband (mine is slightly to one side). To secure the crown cut another felt circle and glue to the opposite side of the headband.
I hope you can use this tutorial for a few of the princesses in your world!
What are your favorite props for birthday photos?
If you enjoyed this post please “Like” A Kreative Whim on Facebook where I share way too much about my life.
SUBSCRIBE and you can get posts from A Kreative Whim straight to your e-mail! Scroll way down (past the comments) until you see the giant teal box- you can’t miss it!
This post may contain affiliate links. They are denoted by an asterisk. If you purchase something through an affiliate link I receive a small commission at no cost to you.