Dear Mom Blogger, You saved my kid’s life.
Dear Mom Blogger,
I think you just saved my kid’s life. I don’t know you. In fact I can’t find your posts right now, but you shared the dangers that are lurking in our homes. The dangers of button batteries, iPhone chargers, and towels hung on the side of a crib. I read your posts and I thought how scary it would be to go through something like that… for someone else. Those things don’t happen to me and my girls in our charmed little life. Until they do.
I’m not a worrier. I get the bizarre, hormone overload, postpartum anxiety that makes me sink low in my chair and hide when someone knocks on my door unexpectedly from time to time, but that’s the end of it. I’m not a dooms day prepper, I don’t stress about sunscreens and vaccinations, and I don’t worry (much) about when my kid potty trains or the fact that one is licking dog food off my floor. I make my decision and I go with it. And I tell myself things like,“Jesus will come back before I have to worry about that”. True or not, it gets me through the day.
So earlier this week when the Lees and I were sitting in the floor singing and working and Whit handed me the Frozen microphone with the once-screwed-in battery panel pried off and asked me to “Mama, fix it”, my first thought was not to panic. But then I looked down and saw there was a button battery staring at me from the back of the microphone and 2 more ominous button battery spaces sitting empty, and tiny alarms started sounding in my head. I just read about this, right? This is dangerous. I should be worried.
“Whitlee! Where are the other batteries?”
“Baby eat them”
No. No. Nonononononono! How much value can you really place on the words of a 2 year old?
“Whit? Do you know what happened to the other batteries?”
“B eat them, mama”
That’s the moment you realize the scary things are happening to you. Adrenaline takes over and you find yourself with a baby on your hip, balancing on one leg while you keep the toddler at bay with the other, and use your remaining arm to flip every piece of furniture in your home on end determined to make a button battery appear (alongside dust bunnies) from sheer willpower.
With your words on replay in the back of my mind I called poison control who politely and firmly said, “get to the hospital immediately and get an x-ray” and started calling my nurse friends while throwing kids in the car to learn how exactly to make an x-ray happen. I mean, if I walk in the ER and say. “Hey! I need an x-ray” do they just do that?
Long story short, we got lucky! The battery went all the way down her esophagus and into her stomach before she rid herself of said battery 36 hours later. I know- this doesn’t sound so bad- but let me tell you how you helped me, Dear Mom Blogger.
Like I said, I’m not much of a worrier. I would like to think that when I noticed the batteries were missing I would have jumped into action, but it’s more likely I would have swiped the baby’s mouth and noticed she was still breathing and spent some time looking for the battery before changing into my gym clothes and casually calling the doctor’s office for an opinion on my way to CrossFit, “So- we are missing a button battery. My 2 year old says the baby ate it, but the baby seems good. Should I bring her by when I finish my workout?”
And you know what they would have said? The exact thing you said, dear mom blogger! “YOU ARE THE WORST MOTHER EVER! GET HER X-RAYED NOW!!!!” Because- if a battery is stuck in the esophagus you have less than 2 hours to remove it before acid begins to leak and burn your precious baby’s esophagus! Don’t chance it, moms! Don’t be like me and think, “We are all breathing, we’re good.” You can still breathe with a battery in your esophagus. (Side note– I would not let my little energizer baby eat or drink in case she ended up needing surgery. I have since been told that IF the battery was in her esophagus, even if she was breathing, food and drink would not have been able to pass and she would begin throwing up. So- if your kid swallows something and then starts throwing up, even though they are breathing- you need to take them to get an x-ray).
So I want to thank you, dear mom blogger. Thank you for sharing your stories and making me a better mom. Thank you for keeping my children safe because you do have the worry gene. Now I know to take extra precautions with button batteries, to store my iPhone chargers in drawers because those tiny little charging panels are hazardous, and to remove extra blankets and towels from the room when my toddler and baby are sleeping in the room together. These are things I would not have been concerned with before I “met” you. You are instrumental in keeping my kids alive.
This Messy Mama
Button Batteries are Dangerous! Keep your kids safe!
PS- I do not, in any way, think there was anything faulty with this toy. We have owned it for 2 years and used it repeatedly without incident. We love it and will use it again. Only now I am following these extra steps before giving the Lees toys that require button batteries. 3500 people in the US go to the ER each year due to swallowing a button battery. These steps will help keep your children safe!
If you enjoyed this post please “Like” A Kreative Whim on Facebook where I share way too much about my life.
SUBSCRIBE and you can get posts from A Kreative Whim straight to your e-mail! Scroll way down (past the comments) until you see the giant teal box- you can’t miss it!
This post may contain affiliate links. They are denoted by an asterisk. If you purchase something through an affiliate link I receive a small commission at no cost to you.