Grab your fishing line and needle and catch up on your DVR recordings while you make this easy Rainbow Pom Pom Garland that adds color to any occasion!
A few weeks ago I shared Bradlee’s Doughnut Bar Party filled with bright, rainbow decor. As promised I’m back today with this super simple tutorial for a Pom Pom Garland. It takes only 3 items and about 30 minutes to make this one!
While I was browsing the aisles of Target for party decor I saw the cutest Pom Pom Garland but the colors weren’t quite what I was going for. However, Hobby Lobby has these great value packs of pom poms in the exact colors I needed for Bee’s birthday party.
I considered using colorful thread or braided ribbon for this project but, thanks to my fisherman husband, fishing line is always in abundance at our house and I loved the illusion of floating pom poms. So here’s how it went down!
Value pack of pom poms in your color(s) of choice
large eyed needles
- Measure out the amount of fishing line needed for your garland. I allow 2 extra feet for draping (i.e. 4 foot window = 6 foot of garland).
- Thread your fishing line through the needle. Pull through about 2 inches.
- When you feel the pom pom there is a firm lump in the center. This lump is what you will push the needle through. (You may need a thimble to protect your thumb depending on how tightly wound the center of the pom pom is).
- For this Rainbow Pom Pom Garland I chose to organize colors and sizes randomly with no pattern.
- For evenly spaced pom poms tie a knot in the fishing line after each pom pom. To create small groupings of pom poms tie a knot after every 2-5 pom poms.
- Hang your garland and admire!
That’s all, folks! Pretty simple and adorable- right? In the end I made 3 Rainbow Pom Pom garlands and I have every intention for reusing these for Whit’s party at the end of the summer so I folded them up, slipped them in a ziplock and they are good to go until August.
Rainbow Pom Pom Garlan Price Breakdown
The cost for this Rainbow Pom Pom Garland project was:
Pom Pom value pack- 5.99 minus 40% off coupon
Craft Needles- 1.68
Fishing Line- free
Final Cost: 5.28
At that price, I have a feeling you will see many more pom pom garlands in future party decor!!!
I’ve used this same method to make a Christmas garland for my mantle as well but I bought three packs of solid colored pom poms in the same size. I strung these together tightly to look like a pom pom garland I saw in an Anthropologie display.
So what do you think about the Rainbow Pom Pom Garland? Do you have a favorite, easy-to-make garland you love to use?
Be sure to pin this one for later!
If you enjoyed this post go “Like” A Kreative Whim on Facebook where I share way too much about my life.
SUBSCRIBE and you can get posts from A Kreative Whim straight to your e-mail! Scroll way down (past the comments) until you see the giant teal box- you can’t miss it!
This post may contain affiliate links. They are denoted by an asterisk. If you purchase something through an affiliate link I receive a small commission at no cost to you.